Re: LOBS or not ?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 10:10:42 +0100

4K is a bit of a nuisance size - the probability of wasting a lot of space, and/or producing chained rows is high. (What is your block size ?)

LOBs are really targeted as large objects, not small but annoying objects, and on the 4K, boundary you need to know a lot about how LOBs work, and how your application is going to work, to make a sensible choice. For example - are your texts subject to frequent, partial, updates ?

The parent/child mechanism, of

    'article description' / 'article text' may be right for you - but if you took it, and your texts were pretty static, I would consider looking at a much smaller number of bytes of text per row (even down to a few hundred) as this could pack the data better without compromising the speed of data access.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html