Re: SQL script without password

From: Kirt Thomas <kremovethisspamthingthomas_at_gfsiinc.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 08:08:49 -0500

There is a balance here - I agree that having the sys password in a plain text script is bad, to an extent. If you security is 'good' then only folks that should have access, have access to reading the script, but if the script moves to another box, there are problems.

I code a $SYSPASS into my (our) scripts. Then set this at login.

SYSPASS=manager; export SYSPASS

at the command line.

(there is also a hidden file in /etc that I use for crontab items, that will set the env variable). This way my scripts are transportable (db to db, machine to machine), and I minimize the security risk.

I also clear the variable in setenv - this keeps things clean.