Re: Newbie Oracle ROWID questions

From: Bart Simpson <bart_at_baaaaaaaaart.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 09:10:03 +0100

"wayne" <no_at_email.please.com> wrote
> Sorry, I remembered it wrong. Somewhere I read that updating could move
 the
> entire row somewhere else, it must have been for an older version...

I almost responded to point out that you were incorrect to say that an update can change a ROWID, but then I thought about partitions.

What happens if you modify a column that a record is partitioned by and the record then belongs to a partition which is on another tablespace.

In this instance, I think you may be right.

On the general subject of updating by ROWID, I think that is suitable for certain functions (eg de-duping a table) and you'll know when you need it. I don't think that your database/application design should generally be based on the performance gains which it may or may not bring. Received on Sat May 12 2001 - 03:10:03 CDT