Re: character set?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:36:38 +0200

I would advice *against* such a short-sighted measure, sorry to say so, as US7ASCII is a *subset* of WE8ISO8859P1, you will *loose* functionality. I would instead change the characterset of the database (in 8i you can do this with an alter database command, no need to rebuild the database). Just to warn you!

Changing it would involve changing NLS_LANG, either as env var (Unixes) or in hkey\local_machine\software\oracle in the registry. The new value is American_America.US7ASCII You will now have effectively *disabled* using national characters!!!!

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA