Re: SQL Server

From: Neil <npluckne_at_ford.com>
Date: 10 May 2001 07:54:56 GMT

"Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in <3AE6670D.E5CE0251 @exesolutions.com>:

>Daniel A. Morgan
>
>Joe and Anne Buhl wrote:
>
>> >SQL Server is elementary school
>>
>> I bet there is a lot a dot.boms out there that wished they had went to
>> elementary school
>> before they went to college and funded Larry's play house.
>
>Lets see I work in Bellevue-Redmond Washington ... uh NO! In fact some of
>my clients are the ones that wasted gobs of money on SQL Server and now
>realize it is not stable enough for 7x24x365, not secure enough for their
>transactions, not scalable enough for their customer base, and must throw
>it all away and go to Oracle. And I adore each and every one of them. <g>
>
>I am even aware of a Fortune 500 company with a department at each of its
>major locations whose sole purpose is porting applications from SQL Server
>to Oracle when they cease to function due to stability and scalability
>problems.
>
>> >Sybase is middle school
>>
>> http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2704708,00.html
>>
>> >Informix is high school.
>>
>> Informix is now in college.
>
>I agree. But the college is in deep financial problems and may not
>survive. I know of companies moving their Informix product lines to
>Oracle. I know of none going the other way.
>
>Daniel A. Morgan

I wish some one would tell my emplyers (Ford Motor) that!! Just been told they've concluded an enterprise license agreement with Mister Gates for SQL Server and are looking at changing core technology from Oracle to SQL Server...

Oh well - never mind - at least it's only 12 years till minimum retirement age :-(

Neil. Received on Thu May 10 2001 - 02:54:56 CDT