Re: Long and Replication

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 13:42:26 GMT

You can do so much more with them. You can do random reads and writes; (longs you have to do sequential access ). Lobs are longer although 4 gigs vs 2 gigs is probably not a big issue. You can have multiple lobs in a table whereas longs only 1 per table. Lobs can be stored out of line (in their own tablespace). There are a whole bunch of functions you can use to manipulate lobs. Longs are not going to have any further development and may become unsupported, lobs are getting further development. Replicate lobs not longs. Lobs can be stored outside the database (bfile) and read from (not written to).

That is all I can think of right now.
Jim

"Jack" <No_at_Mail.Please> wrote in message news:KO7K6.24262$662.118449_at_news1-hme0...
> Thanks Jim
> Why are Lobs better then Longs?
>

> "Jim Kennedy" wrote in message
> > Switch to lobs. Longs are being deprecated. You can replicate lobs;
 Oracle
> > does not natively replicate longs, you would have to build this
 mechanism
> > yourself.
> > Jim
> >
> > "Frank Bluemel" <frank_at_frank-bluemel.de> wrote in message
> > > i don't now the replication of long columns works. but on a 7.3
 database
 we
> > > have create a trigger on the table what writes the key fields to a
 help
> > > table. in the replication we have create a job was it writes the data
 the