Re: Which datafiles are table located?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 09:41:47 +0200

"Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3AF8D61E.24D045F7_at_exesolutions.com...
> ok wrote:
>
> > Hi, assume I have a ts with 30 datafiles, a big table was created in
 this
> > ts, after many week's growing, is there a way to find out which
 datafiles
> > this table used? Also what's the criteria Oracle to take space from
> > different datafile?
> >
> > Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

> If you have a tablespace with 30 datafiles you are either working in
> terabytes or you have a bigger problem than the one you have asked.
>
> To the best of my knowledge there is no way to know which datafiles have
 been
> used in the scenario you describe or how Oracle will decide to allocate
> extents in the future.
>
> Daniel A. Morgan

He can know though where his current extents are by using the dba_extents view, which contains a file_id.
Doing so, he can map his tablespace completely. I agree fully without about a tablespace with 30 datafiles, and I also don't think Oracle will fill the files in sequence.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed May 09 2001 - 02:41:47 CDT