Changing the format of a Number column in an Oracle 8i Db

From: Kelvin Jones <kelvin_at_itxmarket.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 15:31:49 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to modify a NUMBER column in a table from NUMBER(10,2) to NUMBER(10,6), changing from a number with 2 decimal places to a number with 6 decimal places.

When I try this change I get the error msg: ORA-01440: column to be modified must be empty to decrease precision or scale

..however I'm not decreasing the precision. Maybe this is a common error, but I would be extremely grateful if somebody could give me a pointer as to how to change it, even if it's a round-about method.

Many thanks,

Kelvin Received on Tue May 08 2001 - 08:31:49 CDT