Oracle 8i personal on 9X - password problem

From: Lance W. Patterson <lancep_at_bcm.tmc.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 13:57:57 -0500

I am trying to use the personal edition of Oracle, but when I start the "Oracle 8i Navigator" and try to open any of the sample tables, I get the following error message.

"Cannot open Registry
 Software\ORACLE\HOME0\SID_LIST
 Starting with default sid"

If I click "ok" it runs the "database startup" which prompts me for a password.

Of course, the magic question is, "What is the password?"

The installation guide has a list of usernames and passwords that are "built-in", but none of them work.

This is my first time using Oracle on 9X/NT platform. DOH! Received on Tue May 08 2001 - 13:57:57 CDT