Re: Many Schemas

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 May 2001 08:40:07 -0500

On Tue, 08 May 2001,
SPAMBLOCK.Maxwell_Smart_at_ThePentagon.com.SPAMBLOCK wrote:
> Well, imagining that each schema will need many views, that
> weould be one view per table, and these views will need to be
> joined together, would that be able to be tuned?

I assume your application would be able to decide what user it needs to log into. Then, after figuring that out, the rest of the application accesses objects not caring about what schema it is currently accessing. These objects are views, but each schema owns the same named objects with exactly the same structures but just different data.

Then, it would probably be easiest to write each view as a join of the underlying tables, instead of trying to make a set of views that then need to be joined together as another set of views to build the actual result sets you need.

A scripting mechanism for replacing the company code would then allow you to write the views once and create them across all schemas.

Does this help?

--
Galen
I don't want to be the rock.  Yeah, okay, what do you want to be?