Re: Quick way to replace an entire database schema?

From: Gamma <gamma_at_clark.net>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 13:54:29 GMT

Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 07 May 2001, gamma_at_clark.net wrote:
>
>> It took around 45 minutes, too.
>
>Okay, maybe try to code up some dynamic SQL which drops all of
>the objects for the schema and then drop the schema and recreate
>it.
>
>I believe there are quite a few of those that someone could point
>you to.

I actually have enough information about my schema to write such a thing myself, so OK. I had thought of this, but it's one thing to think of a possible solution, and another to have someone else tell you it's a possible solution, too, so thank you. One more lead for me to pursue, though I fear all those drop statements will also take a long time...

Currently in the interest of expediency, we're using the Configuration Assistant to delete the old database and create a new one. The trouble is that that requires user interaction, which means we're stuck babying the thing, instead of just typing and running a command and then devoting our attention elsewhere. (We tried a variation of the build_proc.sql script and a batch file, but the commands we used to delete the database seem to leave some files around which muck everything up.) To add insult to injury, our CD is unbalanced, so it buzzes annoyingly whenever the database is being recreated. :-/

--

Paul Brinkley
gamma_at_clark.net