Re: How do copy a Oracle 7.3 database with IMP73 and EXP 73 ?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 23:01:08 +0200

"Christophe Charron" <christophe.charron_at_prologiq.fr> wrote in message news:ZHAJ6.1024$0p.266690_at_tengri.easynet.fr...
> Hi,
> i want to use exp73 and IMP73 on an 7.3 Oracle Database to make tests on a
> 2° database but the saved db is always restored in the original
 tablespace.
> And of course, I don't have enought storage on this drive. An anyway i'll
> have to move the original db on an other drive but i don't want to drop
> anything before i am not sure that the copy is ok. How can i do ? Help ...
> The sample given in
> http://technet.oracle.com/doc/server73x/SUT73/ch2.htm#toc043
> doesnt works !!!
>
> In fact, i just want to have a copy of my database !!!!
>

> --
> Sincerely
> Christophe Charron
>
> Service Développement
> PROLOGIQ
> 7 bis Rue des Aulnes
> 69410 Champagne au Mont d'Or
>
> Tel : 0 437 499 107
> Fax : 0 437 499 105
> mailto:christophe.charron_at_prologiq.fr

You need to pre-create the tablespaces in your second database before you actually import data.
You can extract the create tablespace statements by running imp with show=y (will not execute any command but dump them to your screen) log=<any filename> (will dump your screen to the file). Now you need to edit your file and extract the create tablespace commands from it, at the same time changing the filenames. After you have created the tablespaces you can now run the actual import. Don't forget to use ignore=y and commit=y

I doubt your complaint about the sample is justified, but as you posted a link to a complete chapter, I was unable to verify this.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon May 07 2001 - 16:01:08 CDT