Re: Many Schemas

From: Brian Tkatch <SPAMBLOCK.Maxwell_Smart_at_ThePentagon.com.SPAMBLOCK>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 18:57:10 GMT

On 7 May 2001 12:52:06 -0500, Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 07 May 2001,
>SPAMBLOCK.Maxwell_Smart_at_ThePentagon.com.SPAMBLOCK wrote:
>> In a case where one company is providing a service for other
>> companies (hundreds, possibly thousands). The same service for
>> each one. Would it be better to give each company their own
>> schema or to have one schema and use a foreign key to separate
>> the common lists. Obviously there are many points to consider,
>> but I do not know where to start.
>
>I would say that each company would get its own schema, but these
>schemas own views into your one schema. Then, each company only
>sees what the view allows them to see.

My understanding is, that queries done on views cannot be fully optimized. Thus any complex queries would need to be done on the one schema, which defeats the entire purpose. Am I correct?

>Then, hire a really good DBA to tune your main schema and the
>template of views for accessing it.

That's always a good idea. Are there any DBAs for temporary hire?

Brian Received on Mon May 07 2001 - 13:57:10 CDT