Re: db manager server

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 22:06:09 +0200

"Bill Koob" <wkoob_at_minn.net> wrote in message news:3af5a99e.163221_at_News2.Minn.Net...
> On Sat, 5 May 2001 20:47:45 +0200, "Sybrand Bakker"
> <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>

> >You are probably referring to DBA studio or Oracle Enterprise Manager as
 it
> >used to be called.
> >OEM needs a repository because OEM can be used to monitor multiple
> >databases, the configuration of those databases must be stored somewhere.
> >Recommended: In a separate small database, or you will get the chicken
 and
> >egg problem : if you are running OEM in a production database, you won't
 be
> >able to shutdown that database by means of OEM, as you will kill OEM.
> >
> >As to the JAVA class problem: the most likely source is an incorrect
> >CLASSPATH, or you are using a lower version service pack than OEM can
 handle

> >As to the import problem: of course there is always good old imp.exe
 which
> >can be run from a command window.
> >With DBA studio, you can't run Data Manager indepedently, in previous
> >versions you could, but as said: good old imp will work.
> >
> >For DBA studio to run net8 should have been configured as DBA studio
> >requires the Oracle Intelligent Agent to run.
> >In future posts, could you please include *exact* error messages.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >

> From within the service startup with the underlying window open
> I get the following message:
>
> OEMCTRL for Windows N: version 2.1.0.1.0
> Copyright (c) 1998, 1999 Orale Corporation. All rights reserve.
> Starting the Oracle Management Server...Exception in thread "main"
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.lang.ClassLoader: method
> getSystemClassLoader()Ljava/lang/ClassLoader; not found
> at java.lang.Thread.set Priority(Thread.java:701)
> at org.ong.CORBA.ORB.init(ORB.java:413)
> at org.org.CORBA.ORB.init(ORB.java:458)
> at oracle.sysman.vxn.VxnNamingService.(init)(VxnNaming
> Service. java:86)
> at
> oracle.sysman.vxn.VxnNamingService.getNamingService(VxnNamingService.
> java:96)
> at
> oracle.sysman.vxa.VxaApp"Server.initServer(VxaAppServer.java:2333)
> at
> oracle.sysman.vxaVxaAppServer.main(VxaAppServer.java:2133)
> etc etc.
>
> final error
> couldnot start OracleOraHome81Manager Service on \\H4N00
> B Error 2140 an internal Window NT error occurred.
>

> Another question:
> I ran the sqlplus demo that sets up the emp table for scott/tiger:
> I works well from within sqlplus - Why do I not see this table
> when I use DBA to view the database?

> couldnot start OracleOraHome81Manager Service on \\H4N00
> B Error 2140 an internal Window NT error occurred.

You didn't create an OEM repository with the OEM repository configuration assistant

If you are not connected as Scott (which you likely aren't, using DBA studio) you can use scott.emp to select from that table. Your questions are very basic. Oracle can not be mastered by just hacking away.
Please try to read the Oracle Getting Started Manual, and the Oracle Concepts Manual.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun May 06 2001 - 15:06:09 CDT