Re: Howto check which init.ora file the instance is using ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 15:32:21 +1000

I'd love to know what version and O/S you are on, because no such entry is listed on NT, 8.1.6 (or W2K 8.1.6 come to that), and I don't recall one in 8.0 either.

Would that it were that simple. Maybe that explains your use of the subjunctive <g>.

In actual fact, of course, "show parameter all" will list those parameters which have the letter combination "A-L-L" in them, so you can expect to see a fist-full of parALLel server parameters. But of a "pfile", there is not a sausage!

The short answer is that you cannot readily tell which init file was used to start the answer, as I think other have said before. The best you can do is use v$parameter to see what settings are actually in force, and hope that you can find a match with your assorted init.oras. (Incidentally, I guess this is just one more reason why the Oracle gold-standard states that there should be one Instance/database per box!)

Regards