Re: Problem with SQL-Statement

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 11:44:27 +0200

"Kast [WPM]" <Armin.Kast._at_WPM-Ingenieure.de> wrote in message news:3AF26E10.67CCD5B_at_WPM-Ingenieure.de...
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing an Oracle client app on WIN2K using Oracle 8.0.5
> and have the following question:
>
> The SQL-Statement:
>
> select * from ( select * from xyz order by ident_column ) where rownum
> < 10;
>
> will not work. Why ????
> It causes an error that the right parenthesis is missing ( Error:
> ORA-00907 ) ???
>
> There is a note in the ORACLE Online Handbook Chapter SQL-Referenz
> 4-502:
> "The ORDER BY clause cannot apper in subquerries within other
> statements"
> Is it really possible that subqueries canĀ“t work with ORDER BY clause ?
>

> Any suggestion is appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> A.K.

Yes, that is possible. This limitation has been lifted in 8i. As you are running a desupported version on a non-certified platform, you can potentially run into nasty problems, Oracle will refuse to resolve, so you need to upgrade anyway.

Regards,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Fri May 04 2001 - 04:44:27 CDT