Re: Career Advice Please

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 23:36:37 -0700

Thomas C Bloodgood IV wrote:

> I am looking for career pathway to get into Oracle Forms & Developer. Where
> exactly to people get their first Oracle experience? I would very much like
> to hear about career experiences. I've been working 14 years as a Business
> Analyst with the likes of SQL Server 7, Clipper, Access, and Visual FoxPro,
> some VB and VBA. I'd appreciate comments on how to "break into" this
> sector. Looking for stability on a platform of heavy duty hitters, not the
> Billy Microsoft toys. I have been out to the Oracle site, but there isn't
> much direction as to what flavor of UNIX real life companies are running.
>
> Thank you all,
> Tom Bloodgood

Real life companies run Solaris, HP/UX., AIX, Dynax, VMS, MVS, NT, Win2000. Last time I checked Oracle ran on 92 different operating systems and platforms.

The way to break in is to go to Oracle's web site and purchase a demo Internet Developer pack which will run you around $40.00 US. Then get about $300.00 US in books. And get a friend or two with Oracle background to act as mentors. Then design a project for yourself and build it. Nothing difficult initially but enough to build tables, indexes, constraints, a sequence, and then front-end it with a form or two and a report.

After you have some skills look for a company that runs both Oracle and something you know really well and leverage your abilities to migrate from what you know really well to Oracle.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Fri May 04 2001 - 01:36:37 CDT