Re: migrating data from SQL 7.0 to ORACLE

From: Frank <franjoe_at_frisurf.no>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 18:06:41 +0200

Hi!
Dan Phillips <dphillips_at_instantforms.com> wrote in message news:ZRVH6.233841$Z2.2470161_at_nnrp1.uunet.ca...
> We are migrating our data tables from SQL 7.0 to Oracle and have run into
> slight setback. The conversion process tells us that we are not allowed
> have more than 1 column of type LONG in a table. Is ther a possible work
> around for this restriction.

Don't think so, the only approach to keep many LONG columns would be to have one table for each LONG columns, and the necessary primary keys. You will have to create logic to maintain this though (table triggers on updates, and extra join on queries).

If you LONG columns are actually text I would suggest to use VARCHAR2, where the max length in O8 is 4000
and 2000 in earlier versions. These types are alot easier to deal with later, since there are many operatores
(concatenation of strings, INSTR asf) that doesn't work on LONG. If your text still is longer than 4000 char, look at CLOB in the doc; I'm not familiar with that type, but my impression is that they are easier than LONG but not as easy as VARCHAR2

> Also we had one column in the SQL 7.0 tables that was an identity
> column(auto-incrementing numeric column). We noticed that on the
 conversion
> to ORALCE the field was converted to a column of type NUMBER . Is there a
> method of creating a column that is and auto-incrementing column aside
 from
> ROWID?
Oracle doesn't have a autoincrement functinality built in. The most popular approach is to make a table triggers
that populate your column on insert. See also Sequence in Oracle Documentation.

Frank Received on Wed May 02 2001 - 11:06:41 CDT