Sequence Question

From: Jon Strauss <strauss_at_wpb.nuwc.navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 14:25:59 -0400

Hi,

I'd like to create a stored procedure that inserts a new record into a table using a sequence for the primary key. I'd then like to return the primary key value in an out parameter. The only way I've found to do this is to first use an insert command and the seq.NEXTVAL for the primary key. Then use a select of seq.CURRVAL into the out parameter. The problem I see with this is that it's theoretically possible for the seqence value to be incremented (by someone else) between the time it is inserted into the table and then selected into the out parameter. Ideally, I'd like to assign the seq.NEXTVAL to a variable and then use that variable in my insert and also for the out parameter. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
Jon Received on Wed May 02 2001 - 13:25:59 CDT