Converting LONG columns to NCLOB

From: Gary Fowler <grfowler_at_mmm.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 13:02:06 -0600

The Oracle 8i documentation states:
"The TO_LOB function can be used to copy data to a CLOB but not a NCLOB. This is because LONG datatypes have the database CHAR character set and can only be converted to a CLOB which also uses the database CHAR character set. NCLOB on the other hand, use the database NCHAR character set."

Is there another whay to do this conversion my combining TO_LOB with TRANSLATE ot something like that? I have written something in Java that will
do it, by reading the data out of the LONG columns and writing it into the NCLOB, but it is very slow. I have many tables to convert so I would like to find
a faster way of doing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary Fowler
3M Health Information Systems
grfowler_at_mmm.com Received on Wed May 02 2001 - 14:02:06 CDT