Re: Form data load slow than usual?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 09:37:14 +0200

<yliu_at_creighton.edu> wrote in message
> Hi there all the Oracle experts:
>
> We have a Oracle 7.3 database with Forms 3.0. on HP Unix. It works quite
> well. Usually it just takes seconds to get the Form data loaded. However,
> this morning it takes 2 minutes just to load data into the
> Forms. At first, we thought it was too many users on the systems so we
> termed quite a few inactive users. However, it did not get better. Our DBA
> thought maybe the indexes on the underlying table went bad? Does anyone
> have any ideas what is going on? Any insight is welcomed.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Young

Apart from the fact your post doesn't provide any clue, except for it 'doesn't work', and I don't have a crystall ball, you are also running software which was desupported ages ago (1993 for forms 3.0), and more recently (7.3 on December 31, 2000). I'm not sure why you want to proceed in that dead alley, but you may have your reasons. Indexes on the underlying table? Your forms are in pseudocode on disc, not only in the database. They are loaded from disc, so this wouldn't provide any delay, unless the disc of course would be badly fragmented. Problems with other indexes would only apply if you are autoquerying your form.
You can analyze your indexes with the following command analyze index <indexname> validate structure; This will provide results in the index_stats table only *1* index at a time. Usually both the number of deleted leaf rows (del_lf_rows) and the ratio of used index space against the size of the complete b-tree (pct_used) is a good measure to determine as to how bad an index is. But then again: there could be numerous reasons.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed May 02 2001 - 02:37:14 CDT