Differences in Winnt and win98/ME

From: Frank Mikkelsen <flm_at_it.dk>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 09:16:09 +0200

Due to speed problems with a Oracle 8i DB I have found two things which are interesting.
First thing is, that it takes a ADO connection in Visual Basic about 1 second to connect.
This should not cause any problems. But it does... Why? Well it seems there are a major difference between win98 and WinNT. This is the second thing I have found.
When using ODBC to make the connection, NT handles several calls with only one connection to the DB. But win98 makes one connection for each call to the database.
Which means if you make 10 calls to the database it takes 10 seconds i win98 and only 1 second i WinNT.
Why?
I have no idea... Do any of you?

Sincerely Frank

Mail to fmi_at_ipb.dk Received on Tue May 01 2001 - 02:16:09 CDT