Re: Oracle 9ias hangs immediately after runInstaller

From: Andy Hardy <newsmar01_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 22:03:13 +0100

In article <ulLG6.2285$5B4.1219592_at_news2.mia>, Moose <BUZZOFFbrmalmat_at_be llsouth.net> writes
>Oracle 9 is brand new. This means "don't use it for at least a year, or maybe
>two".
>Oracle's stuff just isn't useable when new. Even Microsoft's new releases are
>better than Oracle's.
>Just say no to 9.

That's not entirely true! 9iAS is based on Apache which is the number one web server at the moment.

Installing the database cache appears to be the biggest failing of 9iAS install at the moment (it jams at 16% for OS authentication user problems and 97% with export-import problems), but the install in general is fussy about the pre-requirements being met.

It is also known to take a long time to 'do' things - some people have wandered off when it 'hung' only to find it working when they get back 30 minutes later!

Andy

>--
>

>Jimi Thompson <JIMIT_at_prodigy.net> wrote in message news:9caos3$77v2$9_at_newssvr05-
>en0.news.prodigy.com...
>What kind of box? How much RAM? Do you have swap space? Do you meet the
>system requirments for 9i? They aren't the same as 8i.
>Nobody <Nunya_at_business.com> wrote in message
>> Here is my problem:
>> I am running Oracle forms server on a Redhat 7.1 linux box with no
 problems.
>> I have been assigned to add all of the components of the enterprise
 version
>> of Oracle 9ias. Which shouldnt' be much of a problem .... because I
 already
>> have Forms server going fine. Wrong... I run ./runInstaller from the
>> cdrom, and it hangs immediately with the following message:
>> Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /tmp/OraInstall/jre/bin/jre.
 Please

--
Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849