Re: Help - getting a RowSet from Oracle Function

From: Jim Hill <jimhill_at_nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:56:31 -0500

Gary,
I agree this seemed pretty basic, but I think you'll find that Oracle just doesn't follow the same paradigm for resultsets as do MSSQL and Sybase.

We had developed our entire package around this concept using MSSQL, but ran into this brick wall when it came time to deploy on Oracle. Since we never had to DO anything special to make it work with MSSQL or Sybase, we couldn't really explain HOW to do it with Oracle. The DB Admin simply could not understand how we could get any results without OUTPUT parameters. We went 'round and 'round assuming the other didn't know what they were talking about, until we came to the conclusion that Oracle just doesn't do it.

Since our results were simply fields of a single ROW, the best workaround for us was to implement the stored-procedures with OUTPUT parameters. That allowed us to keep the cross-database capability.