Re: Oracle vs. Sybase

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 04:33:03 GMT

As SQL Server is a direct derivative of Sybase, you'd expect this to be a simple answer. However, when MS took over the code base, they ensured that people would be captured to the SQL Server variant by putting in significant added value. As a result, your question now expands to additional questions:

Oracle does provide migration utilties from SQL Server and Oracle is supposedly written first on SOlaris, so there is very good support on that platform. In addition, Oracle is pervasive on all major platforms, so the investment does not stop future migration to other OS.

I personally like Oracle - but to be fair, I can not knock Sybase as I don't have current experience.

/Hans