Re: Large Table supporting DBs

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 04:19:24 GMT

Other databases with 'similar' capability are IBM DB2, Informix (now part of IBM), Sybase (this was the original SQL*Server until Microsoft split off SQL*Server on NT) as well as the free MY*SQL

If you look at the prices very, very carefully, you'll find they are all roughly equivalent. Oracle 'Standard Edition' has a lot of the same capability as SQL Server Enterprise edition and is fairly comparable in price. In addition, Oracle can be licensed by 'power unit' - MHz of your machine - or by user.

If you are not sure, call in the sales reps for each of the databases & let them duke it out on price.