Re: How to select Database in Oracle??

From: <xmark.powell_at_eds.com.x>
Date: 27 Apr 2001 17:50:40 GMT

In article <9cc2f8$agc$1_at_news2-2.kornet.net>, Mike Hunt <love_at_raelian.com> writes:
>I just changed database to Oracle from PostgreSQL.
>In PostgreSQL, I can select which database to use like $ psql database_name.
>(or "\connect database" in psql.)
>But Oracle seems doesn't have option for select database.
>All they talking about is table in the book.
>
>What are the commands for select database and list the tables in sqlplus?
>
>SVP help me.
>Thanks in advance.

What you want to do is become familiar with the Oracle rdbms dictionary tables (really views).

In general there are 3 sets that follow the following pattern

user_x show you all x you own
all_x show you all x that you have privilege to access dba_x show all x in database

examples
all_tables, all_views, all_indexes, all_constraints

From SQL*Plus you can issue a 'desc all_tables' to see a list of available columns for any table you have access too select against.

You can select * from dictionary to get a list of the dictionary views and the dynamic performance tables of which there are around 770 of them in 8.1.7.

You can find the dictionary and dynamic performance views documented in the Oracle versin# Reference manual.