Re: SERVICE_NAME and SID ???

From: Stephen Bell <stephen.bell_at_cgi.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:58:13 GMT

Hi Danilo,

A service name is an alias for a connect descriptor .....like this,

In tnsnames.ora you assign service names to connect descriptors in this format:

SERVICENAME = (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS =
    (PROTOCOL = TCP)
    (HOST = YOURSERVER)
   (PORT = 1521)
(CONNECT DATA =
SID = SID_NAME) The service name is the alias to refer to all the mapping information below it.
The sid refers to your oracle instance.