Upgradeing to 8.1.7 what about designer/repository

From: Chris Boyle <cboyle_at_no.spam.hargray.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:39:42 -0400

Current 8.1.6 Designer 6.0 Compaq TRUE-64 server NT4 SP6 workstations

We are planning to upgrade our production databases to 8.1.7 before the rollout of a large new application. Can anyone tell me if we will have to update Designer, Developer and the repository? The only thing I could find on TechNet stated the only versions 6i are supported by 8.1.7 but it was in one of the forums and not the official documentation. If we have to push new versions of these tools out to all the users we would want to do it before the release of the new application but we don't want to do it if it is not required.

Also I would like to hear from anyone with opinions about how robust and usable 6i actually is. The only thing I have heard so far is that it is slower due to being 100% java. Is this correct? Is there much of a learning curve between the two versions? Will training be required or will a competent programmer be able to learn it as they go?

Thanks for all the help

Chris Received on Wed Apr 25 2001 - 09:39:42 CDT