index usage---

From: Andre Weber <WeberAndre_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 17:52:40 +0200

Hello,

i have a little trouble with indizes on Oracle 8.1.5 --- why doesn't Oracle use my Indizes?

the following situation:

I have a table called "files" and there is a column names "ONAME" on this column
i've created a Function Based Index (other Question why can't i create a function
based index as normal user?)

create index TEST.FILESNAMEIDX on TEST.FILES (upper(ONAME)); (the relation files contains near 1 million records!)

later in the application i have the following select (simplified)

select * from FILES where upper(oname) like 'TEST%';

explain plan allways shows me that a Fulltable-Scan is performed? why?

Every hint? is welcome

bye
André Received on Sat Apr 21 2001 - 10:52:40 CDT