Oracle vs. Sybase

From: Alexej <2_cool_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:41:55 +0200

Hi,

currently, we are running NT 4 and SQL 6.5 and 7, but we plan to migrate to a UNIX platform. So far, our platform choice #1 is UltraSPARC + Solaris. Now, we have to decide, what DB we should use. It seems, that the most frequently used commercial databases (on Unix) are Oracle (8i) and Sybase.(ASE 11.x/12.x)

here are my questions:

What are the (general) differences between the both? What would you recommend? Which would be the "easier" choice (easier to migrate from MS SQL Server)?

As far, as I understand, Sybase uses T-SQL - and all T-SQL procedures (from MS SQL Server) should run (perhaps with minor changes) on Sybase ... right?

How much work is it to migrate from MS SQL to Oracle? Will I have to rewrite all procedures?

Thanks in advance.

Alexej Received on Sat Apr 21 2001 - 15:41:55 CDT