Re: Compare Oracle and SQL Server

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:36:52 -0700

> I need to find out the different of Oracle and Sql Sever.
> -Performances
> -Costs
> -Maintenance
> -Ease of Design, fine tune
> -Compatibity with Access
> -If I need to link to the data warehouse that is Oracle, would SQL server
> still be OK with the data warehouse. Any difficulty?
> -Backup Recovery, any different?

I too will not restart the nonsense but I will make some general statements that apply as equally to these products as well as the others in the marketplace.

  1. Your questions are meaningless. First you need a specification for what you want to do. Then you choose the software that best meets them. Your list does not have a single meaningful point for comparison. For example "performance": Performance doing what?

If you are developing for a small department your criteria are completely different from putting together a financial system for a Fortune 500.

2. Your list, above, looks like it came out of a glossy computer magazine. These are not the criteria most serious database developers would choose. Why not start your list with the following:

  1. stability
  2. security
  3. scalability
  4. backward compatibility

But I will answer your question about compatibility to MS Access. All database products have ODBC and OLEDB drivers which make them equally compatible. But why you would want to connect any industrial strength database to that pathetic toy is beyond my imagination. Sort of like demanding that your new Ferarri come equipped with a Yugo.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Apr 21 2001 - 01:36:52 CDT