Re: prior to my last entry

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 18:23:14 +0200

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:59:00 +0100, Simon Cunningham <cs40_at_gre.ac.uk> wrote:

>figured out how to turn trace on
>
>but
>
> when you have a entry in your tnsnames.ora file such as
>
>QUIGON.world =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL =
>
>what would the difference be if the .world isnt there. I have other
>client machines without the .world and they can connect to the database
>but when I tried it on my machine after a new install I could not
>connect but put the .world in and could connect ????
>
>any suggestions would be appreciated

Compare the various sqlnet.ora's located in the same directory as the tnsnames.ora you are using and you will know. Oracle desupported the default world domain, which is why you can't connect: You have been relying on it always. Needless to say it recommended to get rid of all the different tnsnames.ora's and have one on a network drive, the local hklm\software\oracle\tns_admin variable pointing to the network drive.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Fri Apr 20 2001 - 11:23:14 CDT