Re: hbest way to save html files in oracle ? clob ?

From: Galen Boyer <gboyer_at_primix.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2001 23:31:02 -0500

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, yc_at_hwcn.org wrote:

> Thanks Gelen,

Its Galen.

> But I had something else in mind. I need to be able to serve
> those files onto a website. Those files will be changing on a
> daily basis and will be available to me as html files on our
> intranet. I need to grab those files and insert them, maybe as
> clob files into the database and I also need to make them
> searchable on our external website.

The context server should solve all of this for you and you wouldn't need to insert the files into the database. The context server can be set up to periodically check a directory for new files and index them. It is good for dynamic sites.

> 3 things :
> (1) Insert an html file as a clob data type into the db
> (2) Replace it daily with a new one
> (3) Make it searchable via sql queries such as :
> " select html_page where html contains('sun ultra machine') "

It allows you or any visitors to your site to search documents, html, .doc, .txt, .xls, ...

What you have to do as a developer is write the queries against the context index tables instead of the clob field that you right now want to populate. Then you can display any document that has been indexed.

--
I don't want to be the rock.  Yeah, okay, what do you want to be?
I want to be the piece of glass.