Few questions for experts

From: Jadranko Lucic <jadranko.lucic_at_avl.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:42:50 +0100

Hi,
Current situation is that I have created multi-user client application that access to oracle via ADO (over OLEDB) using (so called) micro transaction
(commit is issued after every DML statement).
Now, I got a request to implement solution where transaction can let even several days. On the end of work application user would have possibility to choose either to save (commit) or to cancel (rollback) its work. Now I have some questions:
1. Did anyone have similar request and if so, how it is solved? 2. Does Oracle have something like timeout duration for transaction
(connection)? How long transaction can take? Forever!?
3. What about rollback segment? How big it should be in this case? 4. Is there any other oracle DB parameters that have to be changed for this purpose?
5. How long oracle locks on table rows can be? Forever!? 6. How can I issue “Savepoint” from client side application or do a “Rollback” to some particular Savepoint also from client side application? Is it possible at all?
7. Is Rollback statement issued automatically if any oracle error appeared inside of transaction?
8. Is there any way that rollback statement is issued without user interaction or knowledge (by Oracle DB itself under some condition)?

Thanks for help

--
dipl. ing. Jadranko Lucic