Personal Oracle on Win "Me"- YES you can.

From: Devin Santo <Drsanto_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 04:46:48 GMT

Yes, you can install Personal Oracle on Windows Millennium edition... (see below)

First, though, I will answer the rather "blunt" comment I received below.

  1. I wouldn't consider my time wasted...I learned a lot.
  2. I would think that a product like "personal" Oracle would take into account that most home-users are running a "home" OS, of which, "Me" is one. This being the case, I think it's weak for Oracle to put out a product that does not serve these users from the get-go...

Thanks to each of you who actually offered help.

Okay, here's the work around that allows the install... It's actually pretty simple:
I will post it here and elsewhere for other Me users...

Open your Win.ini, scroll down some until you see [Compatibility95] Under that heading, type or paste this string... JREW=0x00080000 close it, save changes and try starting the installation again. This worked for myself and someone else who was also having difficulties installing the software. I don't know the how or why, just that I now have the software installed....