Re: ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:46:18 +0200

"Jason" <z721234_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:tdp23bi2kc3549_at_news.supernews.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to connect remotely via TCP with a Windows 2000 Pro
> workstation to an Oracle 8.1.6 database that is running on a Windows 2000
> server. I have installed Oracle the client software from an Oracle 8.1.6
> Enterprise CD. I have no problem accessing the database locally using
> scripts, ect. and users running Linux have had no problems connecting. I
> can tnsping the server without error. However, when I run a script to
> connect to connect or query the database with simple perl scripts like the
> following:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> use DBI;
>
> # connect and create a database handle
> if (my $dbh = DBI->connect( "dbi:Oracle:{data source name}", "{server
> username}", "{server password}" )){
> print "You connected\n"; }
> else{
> print "You didn't connect\n";
> }#end if
>

> I get the following error in sqlnet.log:
>
> Fatal NI connect error 12638, connecting to:
> (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)(PORT=1521))
> (CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME={xxxxx})(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\Perl\bin\Perl.exe)
> (HOST={my local computer name})(USER={my local user name}))))
>
> VERSION INFORMATION:
> TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.6.0.0 - Production
> Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version
> 8.1.6.0.0 - Production
> Time: 16-APR-2001 14:20:21
> Tracing not turned on.
> Tns error struct:
> nr err code: 0
> ns main err code: 12638
> TNS-12638: Credential retrieval failed
> ns secondary err code: 0
> nt main err code: 0
> nt secondary err code: 0
> nt OS err code: 0
>
> I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone know why the sqlnet.log
> file reports a error connecting to my local computer as host and the name
> that I'm logged in locally as the user? I've cofigured my user and system
> data sources identically with the same data source name, tnspingable
> service name, and valid user id to access the oracle database. I a little
> new at this DB access stuff, but I have installed the DBD::Oracle and
> DBD::ODBC modules. I've tried adding use DBD::Oracle and/or use DBD::ODBC
> to my script in conjuction with modifying my connect statement. Oracle's
> (GUI) ODBC Test program gives the same error. Net8 assistant sucessfully
> discovers my name server. I tried to test the connection, but it defaults
> to using 'Scott' as its username with the password 'tiger'. I've tried
> changing the login name/password, but the program refuses to make the
> change. I don't how to perform a TNS Trace on a Windows 2000 system. I
> think I must be missing a piece of the puzzle and perhaps have the wrong
> concept about connecting. If anyone can help me with my remote access
> problem, I would appreciate it.

> [...]

Edit your sqlnet.ora and find a line
reading
sqlnet.authentication_services=(NTS)

put a # in front of it and retry. Or change NTS in NONE and retry.

To trace a session
in the same file
trace_level_client = USER|ADMIN|SUPPORT|16 #(where 16 will provide the most detail) trace_unique_client = true
#to prevent files from appending
trace_directory_client = <any directory which makes sense>

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Tue Apr 17 2001 - 13:46:18 CDT