Re: triggers and stored procedure

From: Frank <franjoe_at_frisurf.no>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:13:56 +0200

Hi!

A trigger is run automatically by the database on a defined event; e.g before or after an insert is perfomed in a table, or (in O8i) upon login or logoff from database.

A stored procedure/function must be called actively by the developer (this may be done in a triggers logic though). A stored procedure is similar to a function/procedure in any other language.

If you have installed e.g personal oracle on a PC there is a documentation related to Oracle which is full of PLSQL documentation. There are numerous books also, I have used "Oracle PL/SQL Programming" by Steven Feuerstein (O'Reilly & Associates, Inc). I believe it is easier to learn a language if you read a textbook cover to cover.

Frank