Re: oracle8 mat. view support

From: Klaus Zeuch <KZeuch_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:34:31 +0200

"Loki" <rinze_cats_at_hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:9bi3b2$2n4t0$1_at_reader03.wxs.nl...
> Does oracle8 support materialized views??

No

> I know oracle 8i does, but I'm not sure about oracle8. I don't see why
 not!

> A materialized view is nothing more than a summary table, right?

Basically: Yes; existing summary tables can even be registered as materialized views (mv) in 8i

> If mat. views aren't supported by oracle8, is it possible to just define a
> table containing the same aggregates (and then: what is the difference
 with
> a summary table=mat view ??)

Difference: With mv and the query rewrite feature enabled the cost-based optimizer can rewrite queries internally adressing the mv's instead of the base table(s) they are built upon. So the user / application always codes the same syntax (e.g. joining fact table and dimension tables) and it's left to the optimizer to use a particular summary table instead of that join.