Re: Who can afford Oracle!

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:49:55 GMT

in article mT5D6.1441$vI2.110838_at_newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net, Murphy at murphy_at_y.z wrote on 4/17/01 6:13 PM:

> Great googlie mooglie! $600,000 per year for 500
> intranet web users!!? We can't use Oracle in our
> project because of the licensing and I'm wondering
> who could afford to use it. Perhaps it is just a case
> of my company not being able to negotiate worth a
> damn. But they swear it on the up and up. So how
> can anyone afford to use Oracle with 500+ users?

Huh ? I just ran your numbers on oraclestore.oracle.com. Unless I got this really wrong, a perpetual Enterprise Edition licence for 500 named users works out to about 250K including the first year of support (22% annually after that). Standard Edition is a lot cheaper at about $80K for a perpetual licence. And the 2 and 5 year options are even cheaper.

Try it yourself - and then tell your company you have negotiated with Oracle and saved them between $350-520 K !! Received on Tue Apr 17 2001 - 20:49:55 CDT