Oracle "Newbie" wanting to install the personal on Win Me

From: Devin Santo <Drsanto_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 23:30:54 GMT

8i release 8.1.5 for Win '98 and Developer 6.0.

My issue is that I cannot install the personal edition of 8i. Every time I try, it kicks me back to the splash screen.

Although I have zero problems installing Developer, I noticed that there was a documented issue referencing the very problem I was having, but there wasn't any reference to Windows Millenium.

The fix was to set the path (in DOS) to c:\winnt\system32; then run the setup.exe from there. Since I'm on Win Me, I didn't have a winnt folder but I found the system32. I then modified the DOS command to: c:\set path=c:\windows\system32;c:\D:\setup.exe... Nothing... So then I figured "maybe the drivers were in the system32 in 98". So, I tried:
...\system32\drivers;c:\D:\setup.exe...again nothing.

I am currently downloading 8i, 8.1.6 to see if there's any difference though I doubt there is.

Does anyone know exactly what the work-around might be for Windows Me, or what exactly it was in system32 that the setup.exe was looking for, or if I can even run it on Me?

I've already spent 8 hours on this (lots that I did, but did not mention), and all I'm trying to do is install it so that I can do my homework...So far, I'm not impressed... :)
TIA
DS Received on Sat Apr 14 2001 - 18:30:54 CDT