Re: Oracle & Web Development

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:28:58 -0700

Nothing special is required to connect Oracle to a web front end. Your most efficient coding practice will likely be procedures inside of packages as you get all of the advantages of stored procedures along with the ability to have global variables and fewer objects.

Oracle normally, and without doing anything special, caches both SQL code and data with one proviso. That you have set up your instance properly (defining appropriate parameters in the init.ora file) and that you write your SQL using bind variables such that each time Oracle sees a query it recognizes it rather than treating it like a new query that must be handled from scratch.

From the standpoint of adding new fields to tables I have two comments. First the overhead is so minimal you couldn't possibly notice it in a web app. And second, you should not be modifying production tables at a time when it could.

The most important advice I can give you with respect ot Oracle, since you are coming from a SQL Server background is to NOT assume that because Microsoft says its product is similar ... that it is. The differences are staggering. And the more you know Oracle the more you will come to appreciate the differences and their magnitude.

Daniel A. Morgan