Newbie SELECT ... NOT IN query problem

From: Jacob Nordgren <jacob_nordgren_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:01:13 +0200

Hi everybody,

I'm having a hard time figuring out this query, but I think it isn't so hard if anyone with a little experience look at it.

This is a part of a system used for keeping control of texts and which text that should be translated.

What I want to find out is which texts (TRANSLATED_TEXT.ID) that a specific translator should translate. Texts that the translator should translate are the texts where there already exists texts that he can translate from and at the same time there are missing texts in languages that he can translate to.

These are the tables:

TRANSLATOR
ID NUMBER (PK) TRANSLATES_FROM
TRANSLATORID NUMBER (PK)
LANGUAGEID NUMBER (PK) TRANSLATES_TO
TRANSLATORID NUMBER (PK)
LANGUAGEID NUMBER (PK) LANGUAGES
ID NUMBER (PK)
NAME VARCHAR2 (2) -- example "en"

TRANSLATION
TRANSLATED_TEXT_ID NUMBER (PK)
LANGUAGE_ID NUMBER (PK)
TEXT VARCHAR2 (4000) -- example "Can you help me?" if language is "en"

TRANSLATED_TEXT
ID NUMBER (PK)
NAME VARCHAR2 (200) -- this is an internal name, example "can_you_help"

I've experimented a lot but I don't think you will have any use of the queries that I've produced... I think I should use "NOT IN", but I'm not sure...

Thank you for your help!!

/ Jacob Received on Wed Apr 11 2001 - 09:01:13 CDT