Problem with hanging sessions

From: Tom Masterson <tmaterson_at_uswest.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:00:34 -0700

Below is a problem that is being experienced by one of my colleagues.

Tom Masterson

We are experiencing a problem where we intermittently get a continuous hourglass within a web form. The java heartbeat at the lower right of the screen goes back and fourth and the session appears in never-never land, presumably waiting for a callback from the server. We have not been able to trace the problem to any one event or action. It seems to occur on different events, such as clicking a button to open a new window within a form, calling a report, executing a query, exiting a called form. Besides transaction processing, this application loads images from the database (stored as long raw) into image items for display in the form, reads images into image items, as well as makes host calls to list and manipulate files in the file system. Most of the time everything works fine except for this occasional "hanging session". On the database, we have seen that the session has sometimes disconnected, but not all the time. We have experienced the problem in the following configurations:

Production:
Windows 2000
WebDB listener
Developer 6i Patch 1
RDBMS 8.1.5 Test:
Windows 2000
OAS 4.08
Developer 6i Patch 1
RDBMS 8.1.5 Test:
Windows 2000
9iAS
Developer 6i Release 2
RDBMS 8.1.7 Thanks for any help you can render.

-Mark Sisk
msisk_at_paladindata.com Received on Wed Apr 11 2001 - 21:00:34 CDT