Re: calling an external program from pl/sql

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:51:12 GMT

There are two basic ways of accomplishing this.

One, if you are on 8i, code a Java Stored procedure. Load it into the database. Then you can call this from PL/SQL and have it run your host function.

Two, if you are not yet on 8i, code an external procedure in C. Then you can call this from PL/SQL and have it run your host function.

Both of these cases are fully documented in the Oracle docs.

There are other methods as well such as using UTL_SMTP or DBMS_PIPE.

HTH,
Brian

"R. Wiesner" wrote:

> Is it possible to make an external call of a program from a pl/sql-procedure
> or function (like the command host in sql*plus)?
> I'd like to call mailx or sendmail to send an email to the DBA.
> How could it be done? How can I give parameters to the external program?
>
> Thanks for your help!
> René
> --
> NewsGroups Suchen, lesen, schreiben mit http://netnews.web.de