PHP and Oracle

From: Simon O'Dochartaigh <odochartaigh_at_libero.it>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 14:57:56 GMT

Hi!
A simple question for a lot of you but as a newbie I am a bit stumped.. I have created a sort of admin section (add,edit,delete records from 3 tables in one database) for a website using PHP4 and mySQL. Functions fine and I was very proud of myself for getting it all working:-) Then the people I did it for tell me that on their site the database is Oracle8i...
My heart sank. I don't know anything about Oracle8i. Could someone answer a few questions for me.

  1. What do I have to change now in my PHP pages? I know I have to change the connection script but apart from that? Do I have to rewrite my code or what? Or is it all SQL and thus database independent... Restarting would be a major pain... :-(
  2. Can I use Oracle8i to develope locally with PWS4 and WIN98. I downloaded the personal edition and installed it but got a lot of errors, then it crashed my computer and to get everything ok again I had to re-install windows.... man. What exactly do I need to install?
  3. I have seen a perl script which converts mysqldump files to Oracle. How does one actually use this?

Any help much appreciated...

Ta

S Received on Tue Apr 10 2001 - 09:57:56 CDT