materilized view maintenance

From: Loki <rinze_cats_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:56:02 +0200

hiya, I have a questions concerning materialized view maintenance. I am using Oracle8.

My database is centered around a log with detailed data. Only insert operations are performed on the log (often).

I have to fire the same pre defined queries over and over again. Therefore, I use materialized views to store the calculations. I need to update the materialized views
when an event occurs, for instance 100 inserts into the log. For this purpose I want to define a trigger on the log

I have three questions:
1. What kind of updates on the views does oracle8 support? Do I have to insert the aggregate information on the 100 log inserts as a new tuple or is it possible to find and update the correct aggregate tuples in the materialized view, for example using a combination of attributes? (so it doesn't grow and I do not have to combine the tuples later). 2. What would this trigger look like in PL/SQL? 3. The best sollution for my problems is a datacube (disregarding the maintenance problems). Does oracle support the Group by cube operator?

 hope someone can help me out!!!

thanx in advance
Rinze Received on Tue Apr 10 2001 - 11:56:02 CDT