Initial database fails, even as part of install process

From: Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe_at_realtime.co.uk>
Date: 10 Apr 2001 14:18:09 +0100

Hi there,

We whacked the config on our box that I am learning Oracle on, so this time round, I went with a typical install, not a custom one.

I started out with the runInstaller command and chose installation location. I then sat back and watched it install. After changing to the second CD, it pops up a window saying that a command needs to be run as root. I open a new terminal to the machine, sudo su - and run /opt/oracle/product/8.1.7/root.sh

Once that completes, I click OK and installation continues. Then I get a screen saying

Configuration Tools
The following tools will be automatically started for you: These tools are optional.
It is recommended, although not required, that these tools be run successfully.

Then there is a list
Net8 Configuration Assistant
Oracle Database Configuration Assistant
Starting web server in non-SSL mode on port 7777

After a couple of seconds, a blue tick appears to the right of Net8 Configuration assistant and the status changes to pending.

Now a window pops up saying Database Creation progress Creating and starting Oracle instance goes ok. Copying database files goes ok.

When it gets to Initialising database, I get a popup saying ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

What am I supposed to be doing at this point that I'm missing? :(

I'm sorry to keep bugging with this, but neither Oracle Essentials nor Oracle Database Administration from O'reilly cover this issue.

Thanks in advance.

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe_at_realtime.co.uk