Re: using a trigger to enter data into a child table.

From: Jeff Boyer <jdboyer_at_(remove)icomproductions.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:45:11 -0600

That worked amazingly man thanks. All my greif because I was using quotes around my variable. I have a question for you. Why if it is a string do I not use quotes?

Thanks again,
Jeff

"Jeff Boyer" <jdboyer@(remove)icomproductions.ca> wrote in message news:9av9r8$23s$1_at_news3.cadvision.com...
> I'll try it out, thanks again for all your help. This one has been bother
> me for quite some tie now. I really do appreciate it.
>
> Jeff
> "Steve Bell" <swayne.bell_at_sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Jeff,
> > This works fine:
> > Before Insert:
> >
> > CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER Comp_Id_Trg
> > BEFORE INSERT on Company_reg
> > FOR EACH ROW
> > DECLARE
> > Temp Varchar2(30);
> > Temp2 Number;
> > BEGIN
> > SELECT Comp_ID_SEQ.NEXTVAL
> > INTO Temp FROM DUAL;
> > Temp := 'SSCA-'||Temp;
> > :New.Company_id := Temp;
> > :New.Phasestat := 'Phase1Begin';
> > :New.Phase := 'Choose One';
> > :New.Reason := 'Choose One';
> > end;
> > /
> > After insert:
> >
> > CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER CON_INFO_TRG
> > AFTER INSERT on COMPANY_REG
> > FOR EACH ROW
> > DECLARE
> > Temp Number;
> > Temp2 varchar2(30);
> > BEGIN
> > Temp2 := :New.COMPANy_Id;
> > SELECT Con_ID_SEQ.NEXTVAL
> > INTO Temp FROM DUAL;
> > Insert INTO CON_INFO

 (CON_ID,COMPANY_ID,CON_MAIL1,CON_MAIL2,CON_DIRCALL,PHS1FORM_FAX,PHS1FORM_EMA
> IL,
> > UNSOLCALL,
> > PHSFORM_COURIER, PHSFORM_RECBACK, PHSFORM_INPUTED, PHSFORM_WEBSITE,
> > CON_VALQ1INFO, CON_PARTICIPATION, PHASE2PRE_CALLEDCOMP,
> > CALLCOMPLETED, PHS2FAX, PHS2EMAIL, PHS2COURIER, PHS2RECBACK,
> > PHS2INPUTTED, PHS2WEBSITE) VALUES (Temp, Temp2,
> > 1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0);
> > END;
> > /
> >
> > I think I see a problem.....on your original script you have quotes
 around
 'Temp2'
> > in the VALUES
> > clause of your insert statement...you'll be inserting a literal which
 will
 violate
> > the constraint..
> > Dump the quotes so it inserts the variable value and you should be home
 and dry.

> > Steve Bell wrote:
> >
> > > I'm doing the insert without the before insert trigger as you can
 see..other
> > > than that, the 'after insert ' trigger is cut and paste from your
 posting.

> > > So, I'll try it using your before insert trigger and see if that
 screws
 it up?

 me.
 Did

 trigger

 same
 results.

 (CON_ID,COMPANY_ID,CON_MAIL1,CON_MAIL2,CON_DIRCALL,PHS1FORM_FAX,PHS1FORM_EMA
 PHSFORM_WEBSITE,

 insert
 trigger?

 error -
 parent
 key
 the
 child
 table
 time.
 They
 all
 Company_Reg
 table

 against this
 for
 hours

 them
 by
 cutting
 and
 pasting
 the
 unique
 constraint

 done
 on
 one of
 my
 tables.
 this
 trigger to
 insert
 understand
 how
 to do
 this.

 get the
 code
 right:

 (CON_ID,COMPANY_ID,CON_MAIL1,CON_MAIL2,CON_DIRCALL,PHS1FORM_FAX,PHS1FORM_EMA
 PHSFORM_INPUTED,
 PHSFORM_WEBSITE,
 PHASE2PRE_CALLEDCOMP,
 PHS2RECBACK,