Advice on learning Oracle?

From: Thomas Bagwell <tnbagwell_at_mail.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 03:10:24 GMT

I realize that what I'm looking for is very basic, and am trying to find a way to learn enough to be familiar with the topic...at least enough to know what I need to learn next.

I would like to learn Java and Oracle. My intention is to use this knowledge in the financial industry.

I've considered shelling out the $5k for ConsultingSolutions.net in their hands-on classes in E-Commerce and Oracle. (Their Oracle class is 60 hours or so.)

For now, I'd like to find some good self-teaching books. Looking through the bookstore is daunting...dozens of books on learning Java and Oracle. Can someone guide me to the good ones?

I've considered 'Oracle 8i for Dummies' and the O'Neil 'Teach Yourself Java' books, but I wanted some more experienced opinions.

Also...can someone clue me in to the pros and cons of Java vs. Javascript? Should I learn both? If I learn one, will I know the other?

Tom B. Received on Sat Apr 07 2001 - 22:10:24 CDT